Just bought yourself Mk2 MX5? Here are five things you’ll be wanting to do to it and the parts you’ll need to do it…
- One of the great things about earlier MX5s is how easy they are to work on for the DIY mechanic. First things first then – get yourself a workshop guide like a Haynes Manual.
- Suitably inspired, there’s no better way to bond with your new car than giving it a proper service. Start with a basic oil, plugs and filters kit as your first step into preventative maintenance. If there’s no history or you’re not sure when it was last done it’d also be sensible to do the cambelt, water pump and coolant so you can be confident your engine is sorted and ready to enjoy. On Mk2s this needs doing every 54,000 miles or five years, whichever comes sooner.
- It goes without saying you want your brakes in tip-top condition and replacing discs and pads is a job any home mechanic should be able to perform. Mk2s come with two different sizes of brake package so before ordering measure up what your car has, whether that’s the standard set-up or ‘big brake’ kit with 270mm front/276mm rear discs. If you’re bleeding the system as well braided lines can improve the pedal feel and this is a good time to upgrade.
- Many Mk2s end up fitted with ugly aftermarket wheels or have original ones suffering from kerb damage or corrosion. Refurbishment is one solution but a fresh set of wheels and tyres can transform the looks of the car and prove much more convenient and cost-effective than having your car on axle stands while you wait for the work to be done. You can then refurb your first set and keep them as spares or sell them on as required.
- Rust is an MX5 killer and one of the easiest ways to prevent your sills from corroding from the inside out is to regularly clean the drain channels that run through the body. This affordable little Hood Drain Cleaning Brush might look basic but it could be the difference between life and death for an early MX5!
Thinking of buying a Mk2? Click here to check out or Mk2 ‘Buyers Checklist’
Own another Mk? Check out the top 5 things we suggest for each one: